Drooling yet? This burger is insanely easy to prepare and can be made with beef or chicken. The only semi – tricky part is caramelizing the onions which requires time and patience. I’ll provide step by step instructions on how to perfectly caramelize onions below as well!
Chicken burger with goat cheese and caramelized onions (serves 4, but can be made for anywhere from 1 whatever 🙂 )
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 oz goat cheese
1 medium white onion
2 TBS. butter
4 slices bacon
Avocado (optional garnish)
4 brioche style buns
1. Slice onion into 1/4 inch rings, then slice again horizontally. (Keeping them the same size makes for a more consistent color/texture.)
2. Heat butter in a large non stick skillet over low/medium heat
3. Add onions to pan. Make sure to stir constantly as you don’t want the onions to burn, just brown. See below for a how – to if you’ve never done it before. It usually takes about 30 minutes.
4. Salt/Pepper the chicken breasts
5. Grill chicken until cooked through about 4 minutes each side depending on thickness.
6. While chicken is cooking, gently toast the buns (be careful, they burn quicker than you’re average bun)
7. Place chicken on the bottom bun, top with 1 oz. cheese, a slice of bacon and 1/4 of the caramelized onions.
8. Spread barbecue sauce on other side of the bun, add avocado (if you want)
Voila! A REALLY sexy chicken burger!
The how to for the onions comes from a blog called simply recipes… if you haven’t checked it out you should. They are my go to for cooking ideas and questions. They do their onions a tad different than I do, using olive oil and butter. I have attached the URL to theirs as well as another that uses straight up butta!