I will say, I’m not a huge fan of raw walnuts, but a few years ago my mom got me to try some of her candied walnuts she made for a dinner party and I was hooked. Roasting them brings out a totally different flavor and even without adding the sugar, they taste instantly sweeter. They are good on their own or on a salad with goat cheese, cranberries and a balsamic dressing (I will be posting that recipe soon).
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spread the walnuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet
3. Roast the walnuts for about 5 minutes, making sure they don’t burn
4. Heat a small heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat
5. Add the sugar and water, stir until combined
6. Bring the sugar/water mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes (keep stirring!)
7. Add the walnuts to sugar mixture. Make sure to coat all walnuts thoroughly
8. Spread the walnuts out on a baking sheet coated with parchment paper, sprinkle with salt and let cool.